Asia/America: Identities in Contemporary Asian American Art: A traveling exhibition curated by Margo Machida and organized by Vishaka Desai, Asia Society (1994-1996)
Featuring works by twenty foreign-born artists of Asian parentage who have come to the United States to live and work, ‘Asia/America: Identities in Contemporary Asian American Art’ explores questions of bicultural identity as expressed in artworks by members of the fastest growing immigrant group in American today. The artists came from China, India, Japan, Korea, Laos, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. They range from recent arrivals to thirty-year residents and work in a broad range of styles and mediums, including painting, installation, photography, drawing, and sculpture.’
The catalogue was published in conjunction with the exhibition which toured the United States from 1994-1996. The accompanying essays provide a background for the understanding of the art produced by Asian Americans over the years. Written from historical, theoretical and artistic perspectives, the contributors study the issue of identity among these artists and their works. Biographical information of the participating artists is included.
The exhibition was held at:
- Asia Society Galleries, New York, NY (February 16 - June 26, 1994)
- The Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma, WA (October 1 - November 27, 1994)
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN (February 26 - May 21, 1995)
- Honolulu Academy of Fine Arts, Honolulu, HI (August 2 - September 3, 1995)
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, CA (October 1 - December 10, 1995)
- MIT List Visual Arts Center, Cambridge, MA (January 13 - March 31, 1996)
- Blaffer Gallery, University of Houston, Houston, TX (June 8 - July 28, 1996)
VIEW EXHIBITION CATALOGUE HERE
Asian Americans express pain and growthCraig K. Chang, The Tech, February 9, 1996 This link opens in a new tab.
The Asia Society Goes ContemporaryScarlet Cheng, Asia American News, June 7, 1994 This link opens in a new tab.
Three Fil-Ams featured in First Asia Society Exhibition of Contemporary Asian American ArtFilipino Times, February 28, 1994 This link opens in a new tab.
Asia Society's 3 artists..Express Week, February 21, 1994 This link opens in a new tab.